DOJO KUN (DOJO OATH)
The dojo kun comprises a list of rules to follow in the dojo, but moreover throughout your entire life. The Dojo Kun is recited at the end of a training seession. The most senior student recites the dojo kun out loud with each student repeating the words after him/her while sitting in seiza.
Studying the dojo kun is an excellent way to try to understand the philosophy of Kyokushin karate.
1. Hitotsu, wareware wa, shinshin o renmashi, kakko fubatsu no shingi o kiwameru koto.
We will train our hearts and bodies for a firm unshaken spirit.
2. Hitotsu, wareware wa, bu no shinzui o kiwame, ki ni hasshi, kan ni bin naru koto.
We will pursue the true meaning of the martial way so that, in time, our senses may be alert.
3. Hitotsu, wareware wa, shitsujitsu goken o motte, kokki no seishin o kanyo suru koto.
With true vigour, we will seek to cultivate a spirit of self-denial.
4. Hitotsu, wareware wa, reisetsu o omonji, chojo o keishi, sobo no furumai o tsutsushimu koto.
We will observe the rules of courtesy, respect our superiors, and refrain from violence.
5. Hitotsu, wareware wa, shinbutsu o totobi, kenjo no bitoku o wasurezaru koto.
We will follow our religious principles and never forget the true virtue of humility.
6. Hitotsu, wareware wa, chisei to tairyoku to o kojo sase, koto ni nozonde ayamatazaru koto.
We will look upwards to wisdom and strength, not seeking other desires.
7. Hitotsu, wareware wa, shogai no shugyo o karate no michi ni tsuji, Kyokushin no michi o mattou suru koto.
All our lives, through the discipline of karate, we will seek to fulfill the true meaning of the Kyokushin way.